keskiviikko 5. kesäkuuta 2013

Wild Rocking West



I’ve started my summer vacation.
I guess that might explain why I’m so much behind with all the things I’d need to do. After finishing my first workplace studying period, I’m worn out. I just want to lay underneath a birch tree and enjoy birds singing while clouds sail across the blue skies.
I really do not want to be on a computer now. The only problem is actually starting, as I know I will write something long. But I’m very fascinated on keeping my blog, and this way keeping some sort of “diary” on all the great and funny things that have happened. I know I will enjoy writing as I start.
Now I need to push these past two gigs in here before the next three happenings, which happen so closely to each other, I won’t be able to update them before they’re all done and I get back home. That will include a rock gig trip to Helsinki, a day at Sauna Open Air festival, Tampere, and of course the Sauna Open Air afterparty. This freaking Friday to Sunday will be booked. And I hope I have energy to do two separate updates on those the next Monday.

But first, I need to write down my Starting Summer 2013 quest.
Again it’s all about my favourite boys.
Thursday May 30th Reckless Love was playing in Turku, Apollo Live Club, and Friday the 31st Santa Cruz was playing in Salo, Keikkamesta. Close enough to each other, so I could combine them in one great rock voyage.

So, let’s start with Turku now.
I know I’ve seen Reckless Love many, many times before, but they still have that something. I really do enjoy their shows. Though some of my friends have somehow “grown over” the band, I’m happy I have not. I think I never will. So the guys will have to put up with me for long time to come. ;)
It’s fun to notice how the guys do recognize familiar faces from the crowd. Even if one is not in the front row. They tend to do some funny faces to the ones they’ve seen before. I think it’s great. That has happened to me many times. Though this time I, my sister and two of our good friends were in the first row, nailed to the stage.
It was a little different for me, as I normally stand in front of Pepe… This time I was close to Jalle, in the other end of the stage. Not where I’d usually be. It was weird to be in such different place. I’m not sure was it just my imagination, or did I see right, but at times I could swear Pepe was a little confused when all of us were so “distant” from him. I kind of felt bad about it, because – well – as much as I love all the guys, Pepe is by far the most important one of them to me.
The show was great. It included the new hit “Night on Fire”, and also “Bad Loving” again, from the upcoming new album. Such great set over all. Oh, I need to tell you this… It is weird how all things affect me during the gig. I was singing along to “Night on Fire”, and didn’t even notice it at first (I had memorised the lyrics without knowing). Then I saw Olli coming closer to me, and I lost the track of the lyrics completely. Olli laughed at me with that super cute grin on his face and walked away. I felt a little embarrassed, but couldn’t stop laughing until the chorus was over.
The whole show was hilarious to see, and be part of. As for me most of the Reckless Love shows are. The only thing that bothered me afterwards was the truth that the guys didn’t take a bow. I’m so used to seeing it when they stop playing: they come to the front and thank the audience and take a big bow. Not this time. I was amazed, and perhaps a little disappointed. Other than that the gig was brought to the audience in the normal high-kicking, positive energy way Reckless Love usually performs. So I have no regrets I went there.


The next day me and my sister headed to Salo, to wait for another rocking night ahead.

I have been to Keikkamesta once before, so it was kind of easy, I already knew what to expect from the place. As we were leaving our hotel, to go to Keikkamesta and wait for the gig to start, Archie and Middy walked past and greeted us. Archie said they’ll be with us soon, and I laughed back that well be waiting. It was funny to notice we were staying in the same hotel. We were the first to enter the club, and had time to pic the perfect place to wait for the gig. As we stepped inside Johnny and Taz waved at us from the backstage before continuing whatever the hell they were doing in the first place.
Some moments before the band hopped on stage Archie, while walking past us again, winced to us that they’ll start soon.  I said we’ll be creeping closer to the stage then, and he laughed at me. The stage was pretty high, I could lean my elbows against the edge. It didn’t take long before they started. All lights were flashing and their energy poured to the audience the minute they started. It was intense.

This evening was full of happenings. At one point I was moving away from Johnnys path, as he made his way to play on the edge of the stage. The next thing I noticed was him jumping off the stage and running across the crowd with his guitar. He did a lap on the floor, and suddenly appeared back on stage from the backstage room. There was a lot going on on the stage the whole time. I don’t think I even noticed all. But that’s the point of it. There is so much craziness, so much joy on what the band is doing, so much energy. This is a band you should see live. They don’t fail, they just go crazy, and go with whatever that’s happening around. Like almost naked men suddenly climbing on stage.
For real, that happened. During the last song (before encore), the band that had played before Santa Cruz, suddenly appeared on the stage – wearing only their underwear. I’m pretty sure it was not planned out, as the Cruz guys were grinning so amusedly. I personally wasn’t that impressed about it, though it gave the show some comical features for sure. I did laugh at it all, but it wasn’t a site to sore eyes. Sorry. However the band pulled it off. They didn’t get spooked about it, they went with it, and with style too. The show continued uninterrupted and sounded badass. I can’t put words on the relief I felt when Santa Cruz came back on stage for encore (and cover) song “Rebel Yell”, and two of the dudes from the other band came along - but with clothes on
(thank god).
I felt good in the audience. The show was superb: High-energy, loud, funny… Awesome. Well done indeed. I had a blast. ;D
Afterwards we were standing near the bar table when Santa Cruz came out from the backstage. They ordered some drinks and we changed a few words. My sister had the nights set list, and we asked the guys to sign it for her. One by one they did, and Johnny even dedicated to her with some cute greetings. It was so fine. We had a chance to chat with all the guys, some longer than others, but… It was super great to finally get to talk with the entire Santa Cruz gang one on one, and separately too.
The next morning we met the guys one more time, when coming to eat breakfast. They were just finishing theirs and getting themselves into their car to continue their trip to Oulu. We changed a few words, and wished them happy travels and great show for the night before they went on their way. It was probably the finest ending to the Starting Summer -quest of ours. I couldn’t have dreamed of a better one.

Summer greetings,
-RW-

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti